More than ever, wood has been a popular choice for homeowners, and it’s easy to see why. Hand scraped wood flooring provides a warm and rustic look. A smooth finish offers an elegant and timeless feel. Wood is a great material since it’s eco-friendly, and when maintained properly, it can look amazing for decades. But wood flooring is far from indestructible, and every day people do things to ruin their flooring without even being aware of it.
It’s a pity, but there are a number of ways to damage a decent floor accidentally. Read on for 5 of the most common goofs homeowners make in regards to their hardwood flooring. Bear these tips in mind, and you’ll extend the life of your hardwood floor, and keep it looking gorgeous.
- By not having a doormat outside, people coming in have dirt, pebbles, and other debris stuck to the bottoms of their shoes. This gunk will rub against the wood and cause scraping.
- Rugs or carpeting are okay, provided they’re laid properly. Using tacks to hold carpeting in place is an effective way to cause damage, while double-sided tape can pull off the top layer of the floor, which is meant to be protective.
- We hate to say it, but some methods of cleaning can actually make things worse. A broom with overly stiff bristles can create microscopic scratches. Initially, you won’t notice it, but eventually, you will.
- Mops are okay for cleaning hardwood, but it’s important to make sure it’s not sopping wet. Too much water can seep into the floor, cause the boards to expand, and eventually the floor will start “cupping” and be ruined.
- Not all cleaning products are safe to use, and some can actually cause real problems with the finish on your floor.